- San Francisco, CA
- Area Code:
- Travel Required:
- at least 2 years programming experience
- Pay Rate:
- Tax Term:
- Date Posted:
- Position ID:
- Dice ID:
The ideal candidate will be a confident and highly organized self-starter with first class communication and problem solving skills. Previous experience working in a fast paced environment is a must. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining, updating, and improving various internal tools used to manage article production processes, as well as providing coding support for various public facing web sites managed by the PLOS WebTechnologies team. Candidate must be detailed-oriented, independent, and enjoy learning and working with new technologies.
* Maintain and extend XSL and XSL-FO stylesheets used to display and output PDFs for articles.
* Improve and extend tools to automatically verify and test XML documents for quality.
* Work with team members to enhance scalability, usability, and security of existing software tools for managing electronic article production.
* Refactor existing code to ensure maintainability and extensibility.
* Troubleshoot and debug automated article production processes as needed.
* Enhance organizational tools for data management and reporting, including web services and visualization algorithms.
* Create and maintain documentation (specifications and usage) of applications, tools, and websites.
* Analyze operational issues, then design and code scripted solutions to improve workflows.
* Collaborate with team members to code and implement custom extensions, plugins or modules for various websites based Drupal, Django, and WordPress.
Qualifications and Experience
* College graduate preferred.
* At least 2 years prior programming experience.
* Proficiency in PHP, Python, XML, and SQL.
* Experience with document and text processing, particularly using XSL and XSL-FO.
* Strong knowledge of Linux systems, command-line applications, including bash scripting.
* Experience with Open-Source software development and communities.
* Experience with object-oriented design and development.
* Understanding of version-control systems including CVS, SVN, and Git.
* Excellent communication skills and ability to work well in a team environment.
PLOS (founded as the Public Library of Science) is a nonprofit publisher and advocacy organization located in San Francisco, CA, USA and Cambridge, UK. PLOS makes scientific research openly available to everyone online, free of embargoes and other restrictions. Our journals accelerate discovery by implementing innovative approaches to the assessment, communication and reuse of research.
PLOS strives to recruit talented professionals from many backgrounds and disciplines who share a passion for our mission. We offer a dynamic startup culture and open, collaborative work environment together with a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
If you*re passionate about making a difference in the dissemination of scientific research, explore PLOS for the next move in your career. For more information about PLOS, visit http://www.plos.org
Local candidates only. Please send your application including a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and use the job title as the subject of your email.
No phone calls or visits, please. Principals only * email from recruiters will be ignored